Can we soundproof a room using blankets?
Well, in this post, I’ll walk you through the various aspects of soundproofing a room using blankets.
As a soundproof consultant, I’ve had an opportunity to deal with distinctive soundproofing problems.
Though it’s natural and nothing is so special to brag about I would recommend that you have a basic knowledge of the soundproofing domain.
It would help you to make an informed decision about soundproofing products as well as methods.
Needless to say, the first query I would get from the majority of my clients is related to the cheapest ways to soundproof a room, windows, etc.
There are many people who want to dampen their homes’ sound to a moderate level which doesn’t need professional support or a huge investment.
At the same time, there are also clients who are looking for very specific results.
Today I’m gonna vomit all the things that I know about soundproofing a room in a shoestring budget.
I’ve chosen blankets for this purpose as it has given me amazing results in the past.
On the contrary, if you want to achieve a high level of noise-proofing (95% and above), then definitely blankets will NOT be sufficient.
Rather, I would say using soundproof blankets with other soundproofing materials will serve your purpose.
If you don’t have very specific requirements like soundproofing a studio, etc., then I would recommend you follow the steps that I’ll mention in this post.I can assure you that if you’ll follow the steps in the way it has been explained in this post then there is no reason why you’ll NOT get the result.
Personally, I’ve used this method to soundproof my son’s study room.
His room is next to the TV room, and as a result, he used to get distracted by the television noise.
It wasn’t difficult for me to select soundproofing material.
Nonetheless, if you’re a newbie with a negligible amount of soundproofing knowledge then I would recommend you to take some professional help in narrowing down on the best soundproofing materials for the project.
The reason why I’m making this point is that the market is saturated with soundproof products and as a newbie, you may find it confusing to make an informed decision maybe because of information overload.
Don’t get worried, I’m gonna talk about almost everything related to the topic, and by the end of this article, you’ll be well-equipped with enough information to make a smart decision.
Does it make sense?
Are you happy and satisfied with my approach?
So your next step should be to take action.
I ordered these soundproof blankets on Amazon, and in a couple of days, my problem was solved, almost effortlessly.
However, it is not necessary to order blankets on e-commerce websites.
If you could find a better deal in the local shop then you should definitely go with it,
Though the blankets were the temporary solutions still they served our purpose without feeling the need to upgrade the soundproofing to the next level.Remember, the success of any solution totally depends on the sync between your requirement and the project’s end result.
The thing that I really appreciate about these soundproofing blankets is that they are good at dampening the noise both ways. (incoming as well as outgoing)They are made of special sound-absorbing materials (even fiberglass), and the thickness and density are some of the parameters to judge their performance.
The installation process is a bit tricky.
The moving blankets are quite heavy so, you may need some helping hands to install them on the walls.
If you’re thinking that there is some trick or magic involved in the process, then let me tell you, it totally works on the concept of physics.
A material with high density is capable of dampening the sound waves, and the same holds true with these soundproofing materials.
The good news about these blankets is that they work well against both low-frequencies and high frequencies. You can even use them to soundproof a drum room. So, without any further ado, let’s dive deep into the soundproofing process.
How to Soundproof a Room With Blankets?
I segregate the noise into two categories: airborne noise (echoes, reverbs, vibrations) and external noise ( traffic horns, train whistling, the barking of dogs, etc.)
Some of the soundproofing materials work well in both categories while others perform better with one of the categories.
Our acoustic treatment of the room will revolve around the aforementioned concept.
I’ll also try to inculcate the methods that will help me to combat both airborne as well as external noise.
If the room that you’re planning to soundproof doesn’t have sufficient furniture, then I would recommend you go ahead with the moving blankets.Soundproof blankets are also referred to as moving blankets.
These blankets will serve a dual purpose: blocking external noise and dampening echoes.
The process is very simple.
You just need to hang the blanket on the hard surfaces.
You’ll feel a tangible difference once you’re done with the step.
Divide the do-it-yourself soundproofing room project into smaller projects such as soundproofing doors, windows, etc.
Moving further, I’ll discuss each one of them in detail.
Hang the Blankets on the Door
For the optimum result, you need to soundproof both of them in the best possible way.
Most of the time, the sound will enter a room or exit through the windows and doors.
So, the best thing that you can do is to block the sound even before it enters the room and vice-versa.
The process is quite simple, all you need to do is to hang a moving blanket on the door.
By doing so, the noise will be reduced drastically.
So, what are you waiting for?
Soundproof Windows Using Blankets
As mentioned earlier, windows and doors need to be soundproofed properly for optimum results.
So, you can use acoustical blankets to cover the window.
However, this may be a time-consuming process.
You’ll need to cut the blankets according to the shape of the window.
Another important thing that I would like to mention here is the tradeoff between the sunlight and complete silence.
I’ll advise you to go with this method only if you’re ready to compromise on the views and sunlight.
Install the Moving Blankets on the Wall
It is quite easy to soundproof walls using the blankets.
All you need to do is to install acoustic blankets on the walls.
I would highly recommend you buy moving blankets that come with grommets. Though they may cost a few more bucks still they are worth the spend.
By the way, grommets are little eyelets through which you can hang the blankets on your walls.
In addition to sound dampening, they act as a great insulator.
These acoustical blankets are also used for soundproofing home offices and studios.
Personally, I’ve had a great experience with the acoustic blankets. They perform extraordinarily well when it comes to thermal insulation.
After installing them in my son’s study room, I found the temperature of his room a few degrees more as compared to mine forcing me to think that these blankets definitely prevent energy leakage from the room.Isn’t it amazing that you’re paying for soundproofing and getting thermal insulation as a bonus?
In short, I can say that they act as a second layer of defense against noise and cold.
If you’re planning to buy a couple of acoustic blankets, then buy the ones that have good thickness and weight.
Buying a thinner one may be a waste of money.
You’ll not get the desired outcome, and end up criticizing the moving blankets.
I’ve seen people end up buying a thinner blanket because the thicker one costs a few more bucks.
Another point that I would like to make is, you’ll get the blankets that suit the interiors of your room.
So, no need to get worried.
Moreover, these blankets are available on the market in different shapes and sizes.
Install Acoustic Blankets on the Ceiling
- I hope you would have definitely noticed that living in an apartment can be quite annoying if your neighbors’ are loud and noisy.
- Whether it is the noise of your neighbor’s footstep, TV, or household appliances, the acoustic blankets will serve the purpose.
- The only thing that you need to do correctly is the installation of blankets on the ceiling.
- You’ll need the help of your friends because these blankets are heavy and installing them on the ceiling isn’t an easy task.
Soundproof the Floor Using the Moving Blankets
- You can replace your old carpet with moving blankets.
- In return, you’ll get thermal insulation as well as soundproofing.
- It can prevent the airborne noise from reaching your neighbors’ ears and as a result, you can prevent an altercation with your neighbors’, right?
- Furthermore, you’ll move a step ahead in your ambition to achieve the epitome of silence by negating echoes, reverbs, and vibrations.
- In short, these acoustic blankets can be used on any surface.
- Anyway, these are my ideas, you can be more creative with yours.
- As per my experience, it is really hard to find a better soundproofing material on a shoestring budget.
Selecting the Right Soundproof Blanket
Well, all the efforts can end up in NOTHING if you’ve not selected the blankets properly.
Allow me to throw some light on the various components that make the blankets effective.
Fabric type – The fabric should be acoustically transparent and breathable.
You can check the breathability of the blanket by simply blowing the air, and if the air passes through the blanket, then you are on the right track.
Ignore the blankets that prevent continuous airflow through their fabrics.
The good news is that you don’t have to find an acoustically transparent blanket separately.
Just find the first one, and the second will follow on its own.
Working Process – They have a multi-layer of defenses. The most important is the inner ones.
To make the inner layers efficient, fabrics used are fiberglass, mineral wool, or recycled cotton.
Grommets can be a great addition that can help in the installation process.
Price Range – You need to be very careful with the pricing. They come in a wide range of prices.
You can find very cheap, yet effective blankets.
I personally recommend this blanket, (Check the Current Price On Amazon) it has given me awesome results in the past.
At the same time, there are high-end soundproofing blankets available on the market as well.
Grommets – Previously I’ve mentioned buying acoustical blankets that already have a grommet installed.
Failing to do so can create a problem for you.
Buying grommets separately and then installing them in the moving blankets is a tedious as well as time-consuming task.
A soundproof blanket with built-in eyelets or grommets can simplify the process.
You just have to hang the blanket on the doors, windows, or any other surface.
Moving Blankets: Most Affordable Option to Soundproof the Room
- If you’re a regular reader of this blog, then you’ll be well aware of the fact that “moving blankets” are one of the sub-categories of soundproofing blankets.
- The story behind the name “moving blanket” is interesting, indeed.
- The primary use of these blankets was to safeguard furniture and other household appliances while moving them from one place to another.
- However, the thickness and density of these blankets made them popular among soundproof enthusiasts.
- If you’re on a tight budget, then nothing can suffice your requirements but these soundproof blankets. (Check the Current Price On Amazon)
- In short, they are valued for money products.
- At the same time, you should NOT expect them to perform as well as high-end blankets. Want to know about Green Glue soundproofing compound?
Wrapping Up the Soundproofing of the Room With the Blankets
- First of all, I would like to thank you for reading the post until the end.
- I’m sure, you would have gained an idiosyncratic insight on soundproof blankets.
- To conclude, I can say that these soundproof blankets are multi-functional, and you can use them for soundproofing as well as thermal insulation.
- Out of all the soundproof blankets, the moving blankets are the ones that are very popular because of their cost-effectiveness.
- Green Glue vs. QuietRock: Which one is your favorite?
- What is the budget that you want to spend on soundproofing your room?
- Did you use soundproofing blankets to dampen in your room or office?
- How would you rate this article on a scale of 1 to 5 with the latter being the best?
- In case, you liked this piece of information, then please go ahead and share it on the social media platform as well as with your friends and family members.
- Feel free to contact me with any doubts or queries.
- I’ll be more than happy to clear your doubts.
- Last but not least, let us know if we missed some information related to the topic.
- Interested to know about soundproof panels?