Dynamat vs. HushMat: Which is a better sound deadener for cars?
Well, in this post, I’ll walk you through the various aspects of Dynamat vs. Hushmat, so that you can make an informed decision.
Do you love long drives?
Well, are you a music maniac?
Moreover, are you looking to improve audio quality and acoustics in your car?
If the answer is “yes” to any of the aforementioned questions, then keep reading…
For me, the best way to relax is a long drive and my favorite band playing the music.
It’s totally fun, isn’t it?
But, things don’t happen on their own, you need to make them happen.
The same holds true for music as well.
At times, your sweet moments can be easily spoiled by the engine vibrations, ratting of loose parts, and road noise.
Things become pathetic when road noise mixes with the audio.
I’m sure that I’m not the only one who has experienced this.
Most of you would have definitely felt the same at some point in time.
If you’re an avid reader of this blog, then you must be well aware of the problem that echoes can cause.
Whether it’s our home or our favorite car, we need to tackle echoes, reverbs, and vibrations to achieve the epitome of noiseless ambiance.
Trust me, the rattling sound sometimes totally gets on my nerves, I literally hate it.
When I replaced my old car with a new one, I thought the sound would diminish, but God has a different story for me.
For the first few months, it was a pin-drop of silence, but as my car grew old, the same old story started repeating.
Finally, I decided to sound deaden my car.
So, I started searching for automotive sound-deadening materials, and I ended up shortlisting a few of them.
The top three that made it to my list were Dynamat, Noico, Fatmat, and Hushmat.
Well, I’ve got a question for you before we dive deep into today’s topic.
Let me know your answer in the comment section.
Dynamat Vs. Hushmat
Moving further, our discussion will revolve around certain parameters as mentioned below, and at the end of the post, we will also declare the winner.
Are you excited for the ride?
- A brief introduction
- Effectiveness comparison
- Installation process
- Price range
- Pros and Cons
Dynamat: A Brief Introduction
It goes without saying that Dynamat is a premium brand.
This aluminum-coated deadener works both ways.
It dampens the rattling of loose parts, and engine vibrations, and also blocks road noise.
Nevertheless, it can be used for soundproofing rooms, and many other purposes as well.
Dynamat comes in various customized kits, and you can select one that suits your requirements.
What Is Better: Noico 80 mil vs. Dynamat 67 mil?
Dynamats: How Effective Are They?
Usually, you need to cover most of the surface areas when you’re using an automotive sound deadener, but fortunately, that is not the case with Dynamat.
Even by covering the crucial parts, you can expect a reduction in the external noise by up to 50 percent.
As compared to Noico, Dynamat is thin enough to soundproof cars’ doors, and also the vicinity of the audio system.
It is capable of dampening the noise up to 19 dB, but to achieve that bandwidth, you’ll need to cover the entire car.
Needless to say, covering the entire car can be a bit expensive.
Dynamat Installation: Can You Install it On Your Own?
To be honest, Dynamat installation isn’t as easy as it seems to be.
Even cutting of Dynamat is a bit tricky.I highly recommend performing the installation process in the presence of some professional.
Though Dynamat is less thick as compared to NOICO still its density makes it a difficult material to cut.
It is highly recommended to use gloves and a utility knife to cut the Dynamat.
Never make that mistake, it may ruin your entire installation process.
After cutting the Dynamat as per your requirement, you can remove the protective layer, and place the Dynamat on the surface.
Furthermore, after placing Dynamat on the surface, you need to rub it from the center towards the edges using a roller to prevent the formation of bubbles.
Dynamat Uses: Can I Use it Only for Car Deadening?
Dynamat is one of the few automotive sound-deadening materials that can be used for multiple purposes.
You’ll be astonished to know that Dynamat can be used for soundproofing a room.
DynaPad is a product that comes under the umbrella of the Dynamat brand.
Furthermore, DynaPad can be used on the floor as well as under the carpet to prevent unwanted noise from going downstairs.
In short, Dynamat can be used anywhere and everywhere for the purpose of sound deadening.
Let’s have a look at some of the places where we can use it.
- Thermal prevention
- Home appliances soundproofing
- Vibrations and noise in the car
- Soundproofing of PCs, TVs, and similar types of equipment
Dynamat can be even used for insulating home theatres.
Furthermore, you can use Dynamat to dampen sound between the floors as well as between the rooms.
As a result, you can expect a boost in the quality of sound.
Nevertheless, using Dynamat for a larger space can be a bit pricey, and may not be the most affordable way.
Dynamat Price: Is It Affordable?
- Without any doubt, Dynamat is one of the costliest automotive sound deadeners available on the market.
- As mentioned earlier, other product variants of Dynamat such as Dynaliner & Dynapad are even costlier.
- In short, Dynamat charges you a premium price.
- Dynamat costs around $5 per square foot.
- Dynaliner costs around $6 per square foot, and DynaPad costs around $10 per square foot.
- Trust me, covering the entire car using Dynamat can be quite costly, and if you’re on a shoestring budget, then it may not be the best sound-deadening solution for you.
- So, go for Dynamat only after doing the costing properly. (Check the Current Price On Amazon)
Dynamat: Pros & Cons
Aluminum-coated and heat-resistant
Installation is time-consuming
Hushmat: A Brief Introduction
Most of the automotive sound deadeners are difficult to install.
In fact, the newbies have to struggle a lot with the installation.Nevertheless, Hushmat is one of the few sound deadeners that comes with the right kit for installation purposes.
You don’t have to spend a single penny on buying tools for the installation process.
The kit comes with a knife, roller, control decal, and mats.
Whether it’s noise or vibration, Hushmat will give you a tangible result.
Hushmat: Is It Really Effective?
It goes without saying that Hushmat is a close competitor of Dynamat.
Furthermore, it is quite effective at dampening road noise as well as engine vibrations.
Since it is butyl-based, you don’t need to worry about its heat-resistant capabilities.
Similar to Dynamat, it also comes in a customized package.
In short, you can choose from bulk, door, or floor packages.
Hushmat: Is the installation Process Time-Consuming?
- Well, I’ve got a piece of good news for you.
- Installation of Hushmat is less time-consuming.
- Since it is quite thin as compared to Dynamat it can be easily cut and installed.
- The only problem I see in its installation is that it can fall off if the ride is a bit rough.
- For example, riding on uneven terrain or mountains can lead to its fall.
Unfortunately, the use of Hushmat is not as broad as Dynamat.
Mostly, its uses are limited to audio and automotive applications.
Hushmat comes with customized kits for boats, RVs, and ships.
Furthermore, you can order the universal kit and use it for the aforementioned purposes.
Does it make sense?
Well, I hope so…
Hushmat Price: Is It Affordable?
- Definitely, it’s quite cheap and affordable as compared to Dynamat.
- It will not cost you more than $2 per square foot, but this cost is only for audio and automotive applications.
- The floor and door kits are almost twice the aforementioned price.
- You can expect it to cost $4 per square foot.
Hushmat: Pros and Cons
Decent overall performance
Falls of easier than Dynamat
A narrow field of usage as compared to Dynamat
Comparison of Heat Resistance and Odor of Dynamat and Hushmat
- As mentioned earlier, both Dynamat and Hushmat are butyl-based, so you can expect them to be exceptionally good at heat resistance.
- Dynamat, as well as Hushmat, performs very well at high temperatures.
- None of the two will release any odor, and they can combat heat up to 240 degrees Fahrenheit, right?
Dynamat vs. Hushmat: Can You Make an Informed Purchase Decision?
So, I hope you would have definitely enjoyed every bit of this article.
Moving further, I’m going ask a question to you.
Let me see, how informed are you?
Dynamat vs. Hushmat: Which is better? Let me know your view in the comment section.
When it comes to effectiveness, I feel Dynamat has an upper edge over Hushmat.
On the contrary, if I talk about the installation process, Hushmat walks away with the game.
Hushmat is quite thin, and thus, it can be easily cut and installed.
Nonetheless, Dynamat due to its thickness and density needs professional help for the installation purpose.
Again, the field of usage is also an important parameter to decide who is the final winner.
Dynamat walks away with all the credits when it comes to versatility.
It can be used wherever there is an issue of sound dampening or vibration, but the same doesn’t hold true for Hushmat.
The latter is specialized in audio & automotive applications.
Furthermore, the price range can also influence the buying decision, right?
Dynamat charges a premium price.
On the other hand, Hushmat comes under the affordable category.
So, in case, you’re on a shoestring budget, then Hushmat can be a good option to look for.
HushMat completely rules the game in the price category.
In the heat-resistant and odor category, you can consider it a tie.
I hope the aforementioned information is more than enough for you to make an informed buying decision.
Depending upon your requirements, any of the two can be a winner for you.
However, if you look into the bigger picture, you’ll find that both Hushmat and Dynamat are great automotive sound deadeners.
Whether your top priority is price, effectiveness, or installation, you’ll never end up buying the wrong product.
- I’ll be taking some of the frequently asked questions by my clients.
- Well, I hope it will definitely help a lot of readers in some or other way.
- In case, your question is not on the list, then please go ahead and ask in the comment section.
- I’ll be more than happy to help you with your query.
What is a Sound Deadener?
- The process of making the car interior quiet by dampening engine vibrations, reducing rattles, and road noise.
- The two main objectives of sound deadeners are noise blocking & thermal insulation.
What is Dynamat Xtreme?
- Dynamat Xtreme is a premium offering by the brand Dynamat.
- The company claims that it is the highest-quality sound deadener available on the market.
- It is highly efficient in dampening vibrations, rattling, and road noise.
It’s A Wrap
- Which is your favorite, Hushmat or Dynamat?
- Are you using some other automotive sound deadener?
- Last but not least, please share this piece of information with the ones who are in need of it.
- After all, Sharing is Caring.