In this post, I’ll walk you through the various aspects of the best automotive sound-deadening materials available on the market to help you make an informed decision.
Well, installing these automotive sound-deadening materials is NOT only easy but also has a long-lasting impact on your lifestyle.
Before we dive deep into the discussion, I would request you to answer a couple of questions that I’m gonna ask you.
According to you, what are some of the best automotive sound deadening materials available on the market?
Which brands are you using and which ones avoiding?
I’ve been working as a soundproof consultant from quite a few time now.
Most of you’ll be astonished to know that I soundproofed my apartment even before I started my career.
However, it took me quite long to soundproof my car.
I hope you’ll agree with the statement that we spent a certain portion of our every day in cars.
So, soundproofing our car can be a step forward to achieve epitome of quietness.
I’m accepting that initially, I neglected sound dampening my car, maybe I thought it wasn’t important.
But, let me tell you, a sound deadening car is as important as soundproofing your room, door, etc.
Keep reading I’ll answer all your queries.
What better than to start with some queries:)
What are the types of automotive sound-deadening materials and what are their uses? Furthermore, what are some of the features you should be looking for when you’re planning to buy sound deadening materials for your vehicles?
Do we need to buy anything else such as tools to install the automotive sound-deadening materials?
Before, I walk you through the sound deadening materials that made to our list, allow me to share with you the things that you need to look for in a sound deadening material.
Without any further ado, let’s begin…
When it comes to automotive sound deadening materials, you need to evaluate a few parameters for a smart buy.
Especially for newbies, it is highly recommended to have a thorough knowledge of these parameters.
By doing so, you’ll save hundreds of dollars by avoiding ineffective products.
Hope it makes sense!
Sound Isolation Types
If you’re an avid reader of this blog, then you’ll be well aware of the fact that sound reduction consists of two subsets.
- Sound blocking
- Sound absorbing
Sound blocking materials are the ones that prevent sound from entering or exiting an apartment.
On the other hand, sound absorbing materials are the ones that minimize the bounces of the sound waves by either absorbing it or by converting it into another form of energy.
Most of these materials act as both blockers and absorbers.
But, at the same time, I would advise you to look for a material that has the ability to prevent the rattling of the metal parts within the vehicle.
Moving further, I’ll discuss with you the type of materials that one should need to improve the sound quality in a car.
Mainly there are four types of materials that come to my mind in the context of automotive sound-deadening materials.
Each type of material has the capability to combat reverbs, vibrations, and echoes.
They are equally good at sound insulation as well as thermal insulation.
In short, you’re paying the price for only one feature out of the two.
Most of the products that made it to our list are quite affordable, user-friendly, lightweight, and can be easily installed without the need for professionals.
Sound-deadening car mats: In case, you’re planning to sound-deaden your car, then the car mats are one among the few things that will come to your mind initially.
Mostly these mats are used to cover the panels.
Woven fiber and foam insulation products: These are the materials that are used for sound insulation purposes.
The best places to use them are underneath the carpet and floor mat of the vehicle.
Sound-dampening sprays: The sound-dampening sprays are unique in the sense that they are used in situations when regular matting is impossible.
As compared to the aforementioned materials, sprays are the least used because they are dependent on using a compressor in order to be applied.
ThicknessThe thumb rule is the thicker the sound insulation material the better it will perform.
You can select any of the two feasible options: either opt for thicker materials or use multilayered regular ones.
You need to select the size as per the surface area that you intend to cover.
Sound-deadening materials for the car come rolled up as well as in sheets/patches.
You can go for the rolled-up ones if you’re not sure of the size you need and is generally recommended when you want to cover a long area.
The good thing about the rolled-up is that you can cut a piece that suffices your needs.
On the other hand, you can try sheets/patches when you’ve got a smaller coverage area.
Best Sound-Deadening (Insulating) Materials
To be honest, I don’t believe in giving any rank to the products that make up our list.
Trust me, It is really difficult for me to say that a particular product is best because what may be best for me may not be the best for you, right?
Nonetheless, in this post, I’ve tried to rank the products in order of popularity.
In most of the cases, the popularity of the products aligns with the brand’s reputation.
At the same time, I would like to remind you that all the products that are listed here are for a reason.
It goes without saying that moving further we’re gonna talk about some of the best automotive sound-deadening materials available on the market.
Does it make sense?
Dynamat Sound Deadener
If you are an avid reader of this blog, then you’ll be well aware of the fact that I’ve written an in-depth article on Dynamat where I’ve tried to cover almost everything that is important related to Dynamat
I know many readers will not accept my statement as it is, and in fact, that makes sense.
So, in the next few paragraphs, I’ll talk more about the company’s reputation and credibility and the reason behind that.
You can think Dynamat of as an original aluminum-front, butyl-back product.
The product has been consistent in sound reduction.
Moreover, the benefit of being a butyl material is that it is heat resistant and odorless.
Even though you’re a newbie, you can easily apply it without any professional help.
But, at the same time, I expect you to be well aware of what you’re doing 🙂
As a soundproof consultant, I’ve been recommending this product for quite a few time now.
Though I’ve received good feedback in bulk from my clients still I’ve to accept that a decent percentage of my clients have also complained about the product being too pricey.
Nevertheless, there is also a downside to this product.
I also agree with them that the price of the product is on the higher end, but you can’t deny the fact that it is for a reason.I have known Dynamat since the time when it was the only automotive sound-deadening product that could cater to the needs in an effective way.
Nonetheless, the time has changed, and now we’ve quite a few products to recommend to our clients.
The company’s product line has a good depth.
Cutting it short, according to me, 67 mil Dynamat Xtreme is perhaps the most effective product that this brand has to offer.
The company claims it to be lighter than the original version, and also, four times more effective.
In the case of the original Dynamat, you need heat to apply them effectively.
But, thankfully, that is not the case with the premium offering- 67 mil Dynamat Xtreme.
Trust me, these specific offerings make our work easier as a soundproof consultant:)
The products also vary in terms of weight.
Another product that is quite popular is the Dynamat SuperLite bulk pack. (Check the Current Price On Amazon)
The name of the product is self-explanatory.
- Of course, the product is very light, and people looking for the lighter version of the Dynamat products can definitely give it a try.
- However, at the same time, we shouldn’t forget the thumb rule, the thicker the sound-deadening materials the better the performance.
- So, you may need to sacrifice the efficiency if you’re planning to use a lighter version.
- But, the good news is that the Dyanamt SuperLite is much easier to install as compared to the regular Dynamat.
- It goes without saying that it is the most popular brand on the market.
- Definitely, the company has a large database of happy customers.
- User-friendly, and easy to install.
- Without any doubt, it has excellent sound, vibrations, and heat-deadening properties.
- Product for the classes and not for the masses( High Price)
Well, a sound-deadening mat is just one thing out of many that you’ll need to install in your car for effective soundproofing.
If you do some research about the company, then you’ll find that the company has a wide variety of offerings for each part of your car.
To name a few, you’ve Dynapads (for floors and trunks), Dynaliners(for headliners), and Dynamat Hood liners (for the hood).
Moving further, I’ll walk you through the Dynapads and Dynaliners product lines that will help you to sound deaden the floors, trunks, and headliners.
Dynaliner and Dynapad
Dynaliner and Dynapad are two popular products under the Dynamat umbrella of brands
Well, these two products are meant to serve two different purposes.
For example, the primary purpose of Dynaliner is to enhance your car’s heat resistance as well as deaden the sound.Dynamat can be used anywhere around the car, but Dynaliner, a synthetic foam material, is confined to the doors or under the hood.
If you own any type of car, you’ll agree that these are the usual areas we usually worry about letting heat in.
The thing that I really admire about these products is their availability in different thicknesses, with the thinnest being 0.12 inch.
These materials can fit well inside the doors.
If you’re looking for the thicker version of Dynaliner, then I would recommend you go for Dynapad. (Check the Current Price On Amazon)
It is about 0.45 inches thick.The preferable place for the Dynapad is the floor of the car because of its thickness and waterproof nature.
Unlike Dynaliner, Dynapad isn’t self-adhesive.
Simply, you need to place the Dynapad on the floor of your car and cover it with the carpet.
Again I’m repeating my statement, except for the high price, I haven’t found anything else negative about this product.
Without any doubt, you can expect high performance for the Dynamat product line.
However, if you’re on a shoestring, then allow me to introduce you to the product that I consider a budget-friendly version of Dynamat.
NOICO Sound Deadening Mat
- As a soundproof consultant, it is my responsibility to recommend to my clients the best product available on the market in the respective categories.
- Failing to do so can cost me my career.
- So, to help my clients with unique and cost-effective products, I keep experimenting with new products as well as the closest competitors of the leading products in the category.
- NOICO Sound Deadening Mat is definitely a close competitor of Dynamat.
- Without any second thought, I can say that NOICO 80 mil mat is one of the thickest sound-deadening materials available on the market.
- Butyl-based material with Asphalt undercoating
- Perfect for any car surface
- A kind of Rubbery scent
- Slightly thicker than Dynamat
- The installation process is quite easy and less time-consuming
- You can expect a single pack of this product to cover 36 square feet.
- In case, you’re looking for a smaller pack, then you can try the packs that can cover 10 to 18 square feet.
- Some of my clients have shown reluctance against the mats that adversely impact the appearance of their cars.
- For example, if the foil top layer of any mat is visible, then some of my clients aren’t interested at all in such types of products.
- However, you can completely negate such a problem by using the black version of this product. (Check the Current Price On Amazon)
- Some of the products are even thicker than 80 mils.
- On the contrary, there are also other product variants available with a lesser thickness such as 50 mil Noico mat.
Noico Green Liner
- You can consider Noico Green Liner the closest competitor to Dynamat’s Dynaliner.
- The former comes in 18 square-foot pack.
- The 170 mil sheet is a closed-cell polyethylene foam that works as both heat and sound insulation.
- You can expect it to withstand temperatures up to 210 degrees Fahrenheit.
- These liners are meant for a dual purpose; block the noise coming out of your car’s engine as well as prevent heat from the engine from damaging the paint on the top of the hood.
- To add to it, these materials are water, oil, and petrol-resistant.
Kilmat Automotive Sound Deadening Mat
- Kilmat automotive sound-deadening mat is definitely a value-for-money product.
- A product to be considered if you’re on a shoestring budget.
- The price falls in the budget category, but performance is way ahead as compared to the other budget car sound deadeners.
- Personally, I vouch for this 80 mil foil (Check the Current Price On Amazon) and butyl mat.
- It performs universally well.
- Whether it’s engine noise, loose metal rattling, vibrations, or outside noise, this product performs equally well on all fronts.
- Some of my clients have raised eyebrows saying that this material has a tendency to be a bit unwieldy.
- I’m least worried about such statements because some of my clients have responded in a similar way when I recommended Dynamat.
- You can expect a single pack to cover 36 square feet, and the product comes in 9.8 by a 15.7-inch sheet.
- A good option to eliminate indoor as well as outdoor noise
- 80 mil thick
- Weighs 0.5 lbs/sqft
- Butyl and foil sound deadener
- Time-consuming installation time (Check the current price on Amazon)
Hushmat Ultra Black Foil Dampening Pad
- Again, a close competitor of Dynamat.
- The Hushmat Ultra Black Foil dampening pad is easy to install and a cost-effective sound-deadening material.
- Since it’s a butyl material you can expect the performance to be similar to other products comprising of butyl materials.
- In short, it will combat both internal as well as external noise, and it will also provide padding to the loose metal parts.
- Another thing that I liked about the Hushmat is its capability to combat the heat.
- You can expect up to 40 percent reduction in the heat.
- In case, you’re worried about high temperatures damaging it, then let me tell you, it can withstand temperatures from minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you love the black color, then you’re gonna love the way it looks.
- I know you’ve guessed correctly, it comes in a black foil finish.
- Good at dampening external noises (road noise)
- Capable of withstanding very high as well as low temperature
- You may need more than one package to cover the entire car (Check the current price on Amazon)
Fatmat Sound Deadener
Unlike Dynamat, Fatmat Sound Deadener comprises asphalt-based materials.
I knew and recommended Fatmat from the time when the 50 mil version was the thickest one.
But, now it is no longer the thickest one.
Due to the availability of 80 mil rolls in various surface coverage such as 25, 50, 75…200 square feet, the company expects an exponential increase in product demand.
On the downside, you may not like the peculiar smell that it comes with.
Though many of my clients have assured me that the smell goes away after a while still I would recommend you cross-check it with someone who is using it.
I’ve always vouched for the butyl products, and it will be unfair to compare Asphalt-based materials with the previous one.
By no means, I can say that this asphalt-based sound-deadening material is a game changer when it comes to noise reduction.
Nonetheless, I’ll agree with the fact that these products are great alternatives in case you’ve got a budget constraint.
- Asphalt-based materials
- The installation process may need helping hands
- The material is sufficient to cover the entire surface of the vehicle
- The material is difficult to cut (Check the Current Price On Amazon)
Fatmat Sound Deadening Hood and Floor Liner
- Fatmat has a lot more to offer than just the aforementioned product.
- They also have a self-adhesive hood liner that is very popular when it comes to tackling unwanted engine noise.
- This 0.75-inch thick foam product has adhesive on one side and foil on the other.
- The side that faces the engine is aluminum foil and it protects the paint on the top from peeling the heat.
- Another good thing about Fatmat is that it makes a 0.25-inch self-adhesive hood liner (Check the current price on Amazon) as well.
- This a great product when it comes to blocking road noise from getting inside the cabin.
- You may love the fact that unlike some of the other floor liners, these are self-adhesive.
SoundQubed Q-Mat Sound Deadening Mat
- Well, I’m again back to butyl material.
- The SoundQubed Q-Mat sound deadening mat is an 86.6 mils butyl deadener.
- Do you hate a silver foil front?
- If yes, then you can try this product that has a black foil with the green logo plastered all over i
- The SoundQubed Q-Mat can work both ways.
- Once you’ve installed this product, you can expect it to combat both external as well as internal noise.
- In short, the butyl reduces the vibration of the engine and also negates the rattling of the loose metal parts.
- It goes without saying that it will combat the road noise in a very effective way, but the good news is that you’ll find an improvement in the audio quality inside the cabin.
- Well, till now, what I’ve said is nothing different from things that are expected from the automotive sound-deadening materials that made it to our list.
- But, what I’m gonna share with you now will definitely enhance your interest in this product.
- There are no marks for guessing.
- You guessed it right, it’s PRICE.
- Trust me, it is a value-for-money product, and I would love to know your opinion about this product’s price in the comment section.
- The most popular sizes are 16 & 40 square foot rolls.
- There are several smaller rolls as well to consider.
- The butyl component of the material makes it sticky
- Reduces the external noise in an efficient and effective way
- Adding more layers will enhance the outcome
- Affordable (Check the Current Price On Amazon)
Thermo-Tec Heat and Sound Suppressor
From the name of this automotive sound-deadening product, you would have an idea that this product works both ways.
For those who couldn’t understand what I mean- it acts as both a heat and sound insulator.
It is quite effective in combating external as well as internal noise, but the performance degrades at high temperatures.
Its outer surface consists of polyethylene that protects it from external heat sources.
However, you can’t negate the probability of ungluing in such conditions.
Can you guess the reason?
The bond between the adhesive and the material isn’t resistant to high temperatures.
You can consider this product as a good sound absorber.
- The best areas to install the product are firewalls, doors, and floorboards
- It is capable of reducing radiant heat energy
- Performance degrades at high temperatures because the glue can’t handle high temperatures. (Check the current price on Amazon)
B-Quiet ViscoElastic Sound Deadener
- The B-Quiet ViscoElastic Sound Deadener has all the properties of a butyl deadener.
- It is heat resistant and odorless.
- The flexibility of this material helps in easy installation.
- Moreover, it comes in 12 or 50-square-foot rolls.
- The working of this sound-deadening product is quite unique.
- It works on the principle of converting one form of energy into another form.
- In layman’s language, it converts the vibration of the engine, as well as other vibrations caused by the impact noise into thermal energy, interesting, isn’t it?
- You can consider this product as a perfect warrior against different types of noise.
- In case, you want to enhance the performance of this product, then you can use it along with Vcomp composite noise barrier. (Check the Current Price On Amazon)
- However, you may find it difficult to layer a couple of products together.
- Extremely flexible
- Easy installation
- Sound deadening may be partial in some cases
- Works on the principle of converting vibration into thermal energy
- Doesn’t come with any additional equipment (check the current price on Amazon)
Uxcell Car Noise Sound Deadener
- We’ve discussed time and again that the thicker the material is the better it will deaden the noise, right?
- Can you guess the thickness of the Uxcell Car Noise Sound Deadener?
- It is 394 mils thick which means it is thicker than most of the aforementioned materials.
- The 0.39-inch, 10mm material may find it difficult to fit in the car’s door. Correct me, if I’m wrong.
- However, the thickness gives you the feasibility to use it wherever you want other than a few exceptions.
- Due to its thickness, it may add overall rigidity to the vehicle. Other than that, it is capable of blocking both heat and sound.
- Well, you would be happy to know that it is self-adhesive as well as waterproof.
- These qualities make it a top choice or a close competitor of market leaders in this category.
- The thickness of this mat may be a point of concern for those who find it difficult to cut thick mats or aren’t comfortable with the time-consuming installation process.
- Still, I would say to try this product because going on a noiseless long drive is something you’ll cherish for years to come.
- Quite thick
- Heat insulator
- Scratch resistant
- Not suitable for larger surfaces (Check the Current Price On Amazon)
GTMAT Automotive Sound Deadener
- We have the GTMAT Automotive sound deadener as the last product on our list.
- These 25 square feet longer and 16 inches wider come in two rolls wouldn’t say that these sound deadeners are the best on the market.
- However, taking the price into consideration, you can say that GTMAT is a decent sound deadener.
- You can expect it to absorb a decent amount of sound since the rubberized substance present in the product adds mass to the rattling parts within the car.
- Moreover, you’ll also find a biodegradable degreaser, 2 GTMAT decals, and an application roller to support you. You don’t need any professional help.
- Just keep in mind to apply constant pressure when using the application roller.
- Why applying pressure is important?
- Applying a uniform pressure is very important to ensure that the bond between the adhesive and panel is strong enough to combat unwanted sound.
- I think that people who are on a shoestring budget may not find this product value for money.
- Of course, you can argue that there are better products out there on the market.
- Without any doubt, I too agree with your statement, and that is the reason I never branded this sound deadener as the best on the market.
- Decent sound insulator bit pricey
- User-friendly application
- Comes with a roller, but the quality of the roller is again a question mark (Check the current price on Amazon)
Moving further, I’ll be taking some frequently asked queries related to automotive sound-deadening materials. In case, you’ve any doubts or queries related to the topic, feel free to contact us. Someone from our team will respond back at the earliest.
Does sound-deadening work in a car?
Definitely, the automotive sound-deadening materials work extremely well if installed properly.
A cut-to-fit sheet of noise-reducing materials such as Dynamat works both ways to help you achieve a quiet ambiance.
Dynamat absorbs the engine vibrations as well as dampens the road noise.
What are the top 3 sound-deadening materials for cars?
Though the question is relative still I’ll try to answer it to the best of my capabilities.
Based on my experience as a soundproof consultant, these three are the ones I’ll vouch for.
- Dynamat Sound Deadener
- Noico Sound Deadening Mat
- Kilmat Automotive Sound Deadening Mat
What is a Dynamat Xtreme?
Dynamat Xtreme is a high-end automotive sound-deadening material.
It is considered one of the most effective products for stopping internal as well as external noises.
So, by installing the Dynamat Xtreme, you can expect the vibration, rattling, and road noise to decrease drastically.
As a result, you’ll be able to achieve a quiet ambiance.
Wrapping Up the Automotive Sound Deadening Materials Review
Though all the sound-deadening materials that made it to our list are durable and reliable still I would vouch for Dynamat or Noico.
I’m not saying this because the aforementioned products are the most popular ones on the market.
The reason for selecting Noico and Dynamat as my preferred ones is my experience with them.
Out of the two, Noico is more affordable as well as thicker.
No matter what material you end up choosing from the list, I can assure you that your driving experience will definitely improve.
My intention to pen down this piece of information is to help my readers make an informed decision on the best automotive sound-deadening materials.
I’m assuming that after reading this post, you’re better informed on the subject, and you can guide others in buying an effective sound deadener for their cars. Is this list helpful?
Do you agree with this list?
If not, then let us know which products you would list other than the products mentioned in the list.
Last but not least, please share this piece of information with someone who is in need of it.[Also Read]